CfA: EHRI Archival Seminar in Berlin: Modern Diplomatics of the Holocaust
10 Day Archival Seminar, 21-31 August 2016
Hosted by the Federal Archives, Berlin-Lichterfelde, Germany
In the framework of the EHRI-project, the German Federal Archives offer a ten day archival seminar under the title “Modern Diplomatics of the Holocaust”. It aims at giving a thorough introduction into the handling of German records related to the Holocaust. The intended audience especially includes archival staff members (particularly from Eastern Europe) and Holocaust researchers who work with German archival records and would like to enlarge their knowledge on archival sources.
German language documents
The seminar will focus on German language documents with a Holocaust context from various provenances. They will be analysed and interpreted according to source oriented methods in order to understand them in the context of their genesis and to acquire a solid knowledge in decision making structures. As all sources and a significant part of the lectures will be in German, good passive knowledge of this language is a precondition for attendance; English will serve as the second language of instruction. Besides records in paper files other source categories such as maps, pictures and films will be reviewed as well.
Central topics discussed at the seminar will include:
- Archival science and analysis of the course of business
- Practical classification of sources: from ministerial records to person related file indexes (NSDAP-card index), private papers and post-war judicial records
- Photos and pictures of the Holocaust
- German administrative history and bureaucratic structures in the Nazi era
- Presentation of relevant research opportunities in the Federal Archives, e.g. the Memorial Book for the Victims of the Persecution of Jews, the portal on forced labour, the film and the military archives
Moreover we intend to visit several memorial sites in Berlin (House of the Wannsee conference, Topography of terror, Holocaust memorial).
The archival seminar “Modern Diplomatics of the Holocaust” will take place from 21st to 31st August 2016 in Berlin at the branch of the Federal Archives in Berlin-Lichterfelde. We would like to invite all candidates interested to hand in their application until 15th April 2016. Travel expenses, accommodation and basic food will be supplied for by EHRI (up to a certain limit).
The complete application package consists of the following:
- A completed application form
- A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- A description explaining your reasons for attending this workshop and how it will assist you and your institution respectively (maximum 2 pages)
- A letter of recommendation
Please submit your completed application on time to Nicolai M. Zimmermann (email@example.com).
Photo: © Bundesarchiv